Download the Marine Defender app to report and map oil pollution and marine debris.


How Do I Report a Spill?

All oil or chemical spills, maritime safety incidents, and criminal dumping must be reported to the federal government’s National Response Center.

If you see oil in the water report it by calling the NRC at 1-800-424-8802.

The NRC exists to collect all information regarding maritime incidents and to notify the appropriate federal and local agencies.

You should also report spills to your local state environmental protection agency.

In New Jersey call the Department of Environmental Protection hotline at 1-877-WARNDEP (1-877-927-6337).

In New York call the Department of Environmental Conservation’s hotline at 1-800-457-7362 (within NY State) or 518- 457-7362 (outside NY State).

Crewmembers or others aboard ships who wish to act as whistleblowers should inform US Coast Guard investigators of their findings during routine port inspections. Whistleblowers are encouraged to provide evidence in the form of photos or video recordings.

Want to help fight oil pollution? Become a Marine Defender