Photo Credit: US State Department
Welcome! Hola! Bienvenue! Mabuhay! Namaste! Ni hao!
In these pages you will find everything commercial mariners need to know about oil pollution and the law.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE BASICS:
- Oil is a toxin, and oil pollution is a serious threat to the marine environment. Click here for more information about the health impacts of oil.
- Illegal discharges of oil from commercial ships are the single largest human source of oil entering the world’s oceans. Click here for more information about human sources of oil pollution.
- Intentionally discharging oil into oceans is illegal. It is prohibited by an International Treaty known as MARPOL and is a federal crime in the United States. Click here to learn how to report a crime.
- Mariners who help catch polluters can receive up to half the total fine! Click here for a list of whistleblower awards
- Learn more about MARPOL and the laws regulating marine oil pollution in the United States.